Pre-Operative & Post-Operative Instructions
Pre-operative and post-operative care are integral to the longevity and safety of your treatment results. With a little extra care, you can enjoy a much smoother treatment experience and an easier recovery period. RGV Cosmetic Surgery & Vein Center offers the following instructions for patients living in Brownsville, the Rio Grande Valley, McAllen, and all of South Texas.
- Use and bring rescue inhaler for asthma
- Gastric reflux history – take Pepcid morning of and night before surgery
- No food after midnight for morning surgery
- Only clear liquids at 6AM for afternoon surgery
- Shower with antibacterial soap the night before and morning of surgery day
- Wear loose-fitting pants, front closure shirt, slip-on shoes, and socks
- Remove all piercings. Leave jewelry and valuables at home
- Wear glasses instead of contact lenses
- No alcohol or recreational drugs for at least 48 hours before surgery
- Arrange for an adult caregiver for 24 hours after surgery
- May take regular prescriptions (especially blood pressure medications) with just a sip of water the morning of surgery (do not take oral diabetes medications)
- Remove nail polish from one finger on each hand
- Please arrive at your given time – be prepared to arrive earlier if called in
- No make-up, creams, or lotions
- Have caregiver read “Recipe for Success”
- Provide phone number to reach you after surgery for follow-up call in the AM & PM
- No over-the-head clothing
- Patients having lipo or tummy tuck need waterproof protection for car seat and bed at home
- If having facial surgery: bring sunglasses to wear, wash hair, and do not use hair spray, gel, or any other hair products
- When having a tummy tuck, start Colace the day before surgery and fleet enema the evening before surgery
- Gluteal implant patients should take fleet enema in the AM day of surgery
- For nausea, drink 1 tbs. of Coke every 15 minutes for one hour, then lay flat. Use prescribed suppositories at first sign of nausea
- Avoid drinking plain water after surgery on day one to minimize nausea – Sprite or 7Up is better
- Ice 20 minutes on and 40 minutes off away from incisions. Breast lifts and tummy tucks must avoid ice because of constricting blood vessels that threaten skin viability
- Wound care: leave Hypafix tape in place. Specific instructions given as needed
- Take pain pill at first sign of pain as local anesthesia begins to wear off
- Take and complete all antibiotics as directed
- Antiviral medications for facial and labia surgery as per PCP orders for history of herpes
- No other over-the-counter medications without instructions
- If pain pills are not helping, call us before taking more than the recommended dosage
- Scars take up to one year to heal and must be kept out of the sun
- Avoid sun bathing and tanning beds for two weeks. Keep scars out of sun until pink color is gone and scar is white (six to 12 months)
- If instructed to take Aleve after surgery (two tabs in AM & PM), you may add Extra-Strength Tylenol over six hours as needed
- If clear OpSite dressings accumulate fluid/moisture, release the bottom of the dressing to allow the moisture to drain
- Sleep in any position. Facial surgery patients must keep head elevated. Butt augmentation patients must keep weight off butt
- Leave garments on until instructed to remove
- Lipo and tummy tuck patients – numbness is normal in treated areas for up to one year. Take Benadryl for sleep or itching.
- Chin lipo patients may loosen chinstrap for head bandage if short of breath or for headaches
- Call for significant one-sided swelling
- Keep splint dry
- Use milk of magnesia for constipation if no BM by second day after surgery. Start Miralax for constipation if no BM by third day after surgery.
- It is not uncommon to have more pain on one side than the other. Be suspect of increased swelling on one side that is larger than a cup size difference.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your upcoming treatment, don’t hesitate to contact us. We strive to offer effective treatment options that produce natural, long-lasting results. We offer a range of treatments to the residents of McAllen, the Rio Grande Valley, Brownsville, and all of South Texas.
MEET THE DOCTOR
Our highly qualified and experienced surgeon, Dr. Filiberto Rodriguez, his skill, advanced technology, and patient’s goal to deliver beautiful results. Through cosmetic surgery and vein care, his objective is to enhance each patient’s individuality. Our team takes a unique, personalized approach to every treatment, which we believe is necessary to properly treat our one-of-a-kind patients. We are fully dedicated to the care and needs of our patients and strive for consistency and excellence through our treatment services.